Friday, February 29, 2008

The Heartbreak of the World Class Athlete


Broken bindings - Broken dreams

World class mountaineer in this case. As you can see from the photo above, my trusty Tubbs snowshoes gave up the ghost during this morning's walk. I guess that means they're not that trusty after all. But trusty or not, I am now forced to give up my preparation for an ascent of Mt. Everest during the 2008 calendar year. And I was just getting ready to head to Colorado for some real altitude work. I've canceled those plans since altitude conditioning can be rather expensive. It's too late however for me to cancel the desert training portion of my preparation which is scheduled to start on 15 March in Burkina-Faso, Africa. I'm not sure why there even is a desert training module for the ascent of Everest, but my sponsor (Northrop-Grumman) insists on it and they are paying the bills after all. After locking myself in my bedroom and crying for several hours, I pulled myself together, went downtown and ordered a new set of snowshoes. As some of you may remember, Tubbs used to be made in Vermont. No longer. Tubbs shoes are made in China now like almost everything else on the planet. Fortunately, a company named TSL took over the Tubbs factory and TSL is making great snowshoes just an hour north of us in Burlington. I ordered a set of their snowshoes and they'll be here next week. I'll keep everyone advised of my Everest training schedule for 2009.

No comments: