Saturday, March 15, 2008

March Mink Madness!


The river bank where I saw Mathilda. (Note the 3+ feet of snow pack.)


Mathilda during an earlier photo shoot. (Actually a photo from the internet.)

Yes, we had a real life mink sighting this morning during our regular walk. Mathilda the mink saw me before I had a chance to get the camera out and she quickly scampered down the river bank and into a snow den. Mathilda was smaller than I imagined, about 20 to 24 inches long. Of course she may have a mate around who is bigger. Who knows. What is clear is that our property is a good territory for mink with all of the fish in the brook, the river and our pond. There are also lots of amphibians and birds for the mink to hunt. They will hunt waterfowl and I'm sure they're happy to raid any bird's nest for some eggs. Who knows, maybe we'll have a litter of mink come Spring. I'll keep everyone updated.

No comments: