Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Moonlight Over Vermont



Everyone (I hope) has seen a beautiful moon rise above the horizon on a crystal clear night. You just feel like you could reach out and touch it. We're fortunate because the moon rises just opposite our deck, and on clear nights like tonight, when there's not a cloud in the sky and the moon is almost full, the view can take your breath away. It's even better in the Winter when the air is almost painful in its crystal purity. Wait a minute; in the Winter the air is painful in its crystal purity because it's somewhere around -100 F. Or at least that's what it feels like when you see that impossible moon, go outside and take a deep breath. Vermont has quite the marriage / romantic getaway industry, so a moon like the one we have tonight is a real treat for all those couples who came up here to capture some of our "romantic magic". I'd like to say that my wife and I fell in love, lo these many years ago, gazing at a full moon while in Vermont, but that wouldn't be true. We were in France and I don't really have any particular recollection of the moon, full or otherwise. I guess I was just blinded by my wife's radiant beauty. (Geez, I ought to get some points for that one, don't you think?) Anyway, I digress. This photo isn't great, but I hope it gives you a little idea of how beautiful it is looking out over our yard this evening. And if, wherever you are, you're gazing at the moon too, here's an interesting factoid for you to mull over. It's the same moon as the one we've got up here in Vermont!

p.s. "Moonlight Over Vermont" is apparently the name of an old song (1940s?) about which I know nothing.

No comments: