Tuesday, July 22, 2008

You Can't Make This Stuff Up


What the well dressed handyman is wearing these days.


Catherine shows off her new hat.

Our family has tended to have offbeat visitors show up at the door and throw our routine into chaos. From the deaf-mute battered wife when we lived in Texas to the pregnant woman on Christmas eve at our old house here in Vermont to the 10 year old autistic runaway who just walked into the house during my son's recent visit, we've been a magnet for disconcerting problems that seem to appear out of nowhere. And now this. A needy, apparently domesticated , lost pigeon. The pigeon showed up on the deck around 11 this morning and wouldn't leave with any amount of shooing. Catherine said seeing me chase the pigeon around the deck with the broom was quite comical. I call it heroic. We eventually came to the conclusion that if Bruno the bear eventually left, the pigeon would certainly tire of our rather boring lifestyle and fly off to more interesting climes. With that reasoning we decided to leave the bird alone, and we went down to work on the garden fence. Then the trouble really began. The pigeon flew down and insisted on landing on our heads. I could get it to stay on my shoulder as I finished up a last thing or two on the fence, but it really wanted to be on one of our heads. I'm happy to report that when I got up to the house I successfully shooed the pigeon off of my head long enough to get inside the house. It then roosted on the top of our umbrella for a short time and now appears to have left. We're thinking of renting Hitchcocks "The Birds" for this weekend.

2 comments:

Numeriklab said...

Camille says: How did the pigeon get on your head?

Mia says: Were the pigeons lost? Or were they close by their nest?

Flatlander said...

The pigeon just flew onto our heads! I guess it is lost, and we hope it goes home!