Thursday, January 8, 2009

Why I like Working in Africa

In a picture from last year, the Christmas tree contemplates its brief life.  (The holidays and the Christmas tree are gone now, alas.)

The near arctic temperatures in the river make Africa all that more enticing.

Why do I like working in Africa?  In a word, Winter.  Not that I don't like Winter; I do.  But the Winters hereabouts can get pretty long and, here's a shocker, it's usually pretty warm and sunny in most parts of Africa.  It certainly is in most places where I end up working.  That's probably because I'm usually not too far from the equator although Friday I leave for Ethiopia which is several hundred miles from the equator.  This is my first time to go to Ethiopia, but from what I've read, it has perfect weather this time of year.  Unbroken sunshine with highs in the 70s and lows in the 40s.  Heck, that's Summer weather here in Vermont.   In any case, I'll be gone for two weeks which means two weeks of no posts.  But don't worry.  Even though I won't be blogging, I'll be thinking about all of you snowbound readers as I soak up the rays.   

1 comment:

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

I like Vermont because of the cold. You see things and notice things you never ever would otherwise if it wasn't for the artic temps.

Plus...there is snowmobiling!