Friday, January 4, 2008

"A River Runs Through It....Kinda"




Last night was the coldest night of the year so far, -12 F. That's cold enough to freeze the river up. It's still running of course, but the surface is frozen except where the river flows the fastest. I haven't been to the other side of the river in weeks. With my boots and gaiters, I can still wade across without getting my feet wet, but once on the other side, my wet snowshoes attract snow like magnets and really clog up. With all of the snow on the ground, it may be Spring before I can cross the river again. Of course, I'm not missing much. It's not like it's El Dorado on the other side. Still, the moose that regularly circulates in the area generally stays along the river and I would hate to miss out on seeing its tracks if they only passed on the other side.

No comments: