Monday, June 30, 2008

Benny the Beaver Bounces Back


Benny makes for some bushes, presumably for his evening meal.


Keepin' his head above water.


Just when the dogs thought it was safe to go back to the water, Benny the Beaver has returned for what may be an extended stay. Nella, our border collie mixed breed, is obsessed with Benny and plunges into the pond as soon as she hears a fish jump. She then swims around in circles going after every trout and minnow that breaks the surface in her immediate vicinity, hoping to snag her first beaver. Meanwhile Benny will be swimming nonchalantly at the other end of the pond. He doesn't seem too troubled by the presence of humans, and I could have gotten some pretty good photos if I had had my camera late this afternoon while walking around the pond. But of course one of the laws of amateur photography is that you never have your camera with you when the best shots present themselves. I did get the photos above, which are passable, from the deck using the new super-duper zoom on my new camera. They were taken while 75 - 100 yards from the pond. O.K. photos I guess. I mean you can tell it's a beaver or at least a large swimming rodent. Still, I'm disappointed so far in the quality of photos from the new camera. We'll see if they improve as my familiarity with the camera improves.

No comments: